Please, leave your judgement at the door!

One thing we all can attest about Vancouver, besides the beautiful mountains, the picturesque view of the oceans from the beach, the smiley happy people; their smiley happy dogs, and their smiley happy children (this again, mostly just smiley happy dogs), is that there are a heck of a lot of homeless people that surround us.

The difference between them and us. You got it!!!! Homes!

They are still people, with a story, waiting to be told. Having been told. Sometimes a story that got too old.

I have befriended one of these, "homeless" persons.

One of which I was drawn to on my 6am sunny morning walk with Jules, my lil side kick. A.k.a. my "smiley happy child."

I tend to pay attention to more on my walk with my lil one. I have no other choice, he sniffs every single blade of grass, pees with precision on any small leaf; therefore, I am made to wait while he takes in the smells and stories of the world.

Well doggone it he can, I can too!

So what has come to be a routine, has actually helped shape and change the way I once viewed the homeless.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know in life we all have choices. We do. We are to live responsible lives.

But as with this being said, we must also understand by looking into ourselves.

We have all made choices as direct refelctions of struggling; second guessing our abilities; becoming highly influenced by the crowd. Perhaps through fear to express our ideas, and opinions. Intimidation or insecurities preventing us from standing up for ourselves.

Whatever the case may be. It is a story. A story of where we are, right now?
Where are you right now, verses where you want to be? Or, thought you would be?

And in the case, of looking in the eyes of the homeless... Happy you are not where they are...

It was my friend's birthday on Mother's Day. This passed Sunday.
I was so happy to hear, and responded with "Happy Birthday!"

As I walked away, I immediately thought of what I could buy him for his birthday.

Then, something bigger inside me realized what he wanted, what he has wished for was much bigger than I could give him.

I didn't feel hopeless, however. I, instead, decided to then ask for this wish to be granted!

You still do that, right? Wish on falling stars? Wish bones?
Prayers to the higher up, in hopes and in waiting for the wish to come true?

Don't turn your head. Don't flinch your shoulder, move your mouth to the right, in hesitation... You do it....

I did it that day.

Instead of feeling helpless to the homesless. Or ignorant, I am hopeful.

I asked above to grant him the wish that he wanted for his birthday. The wish I didn't know, but knew I could not grant.

This morning, the sun was shining brighter.

Jules and I walked out the door, hopped to it, and turned the corner to greet our friend.

"I have great news for you both, today!" He gleems, in the shining sun.

"I receieved a letter from the Government, and they are giving me the back pay they owe me, retro active, enough to help get me back off the streets!"

"Happy Birthday" I responded, with confidence, and excitement. I looked up, and said thank you, and after we shared a few words of joy, I went on my merry way with Jules, for our lovely routine walk....

On my way back, I saw our friend stand up from his pole where he sit, and walk towards us, greeting us, now, as we walked toward him back to "our neighbourhood corner."

"I want you to know you have changed the way I look at life" He says.
"Your daily smile, and consideration. The respect you give to me, through your eyes, and your conversation, you needn't do. But you do. Your energy is like magic. You actually glow!"

I looked at him, with a sense of surprise. "My smiles are free, and I dont' have much more I can give, you so I am so thankful that you feel this way!"

We proceeded to discuss the cost of living, him assuring me he understands how hard it must be, and how I must be struggling, single, to keep afloat in Vancouver, and told me everything will be fine.

I explained to him how I could never give up Julius, and I made a choice to live in the area that I do, for me, for my dog to be able to live with me, and for the safety and convenience.

He was warm hearted. Always had been. Always will be.

We smiled, and Jules and I were on our way back to our HOME.

Before I headed out the door today, I decided to create a little care and celebratory package for my sweet friend.

I gathered bananas, crackers, most specifically, HAPPY PLANET Juice, given to me from a dear dear person close to my heart, on my birthday, just a week before. A person who, when I thought thngs were not going how I had assumed they should, at such an important time in my life, brought me back up again, allowed me to dance into my 30's when I didn't think I would. Let me have my cake and eat it too!!! Came to me at a time I needed, with an Angel's smile.

I was happy to pay it forward for my sweet friend, as he received his birthday wish, so deserving. Just as I know my birthday wish, to be happy, was just as deserving.

I wrapped it all up, with Lindor Chocolates, and a pretty bag, with the note from Jules and Mom:

"Thorns and Stings and those such things make only stronger our angels wings"

I went off to greet him, before my day at the office.

"Here you are, my friend, a congratulaions to you for your wish coming true!"

I thought his gleeming smile was wide before, well, it was nothing like this one I saw in the sun, shining from ear to ear, as he looked in the bag.

I bent down to him, as he talked to me, thanking me for the gift. So, we chatted for a moment, and I ran off a bit late for work this morning.

"Smiles are free, and how hard it is for people to go that far! Thank you for giving me your smile every day, you will always be remembered.

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

~Lucy Smiles... at her friends birthday wish come true~

2 comments:

Casssandra said...

Wow! Your story touched my heart. You truly are a goddess. Thanks for your smile:)

rob said...

though you had told me before and how touched i was to hear it, reading the beauty of you as you tell it brings tears to my eyes..thank you..if there were more people like you around, this would be a much more easier place to live..you can see the beauty in everything because its in you from where it stems, do not forget this..everything you touch becomes magic..