Marshmallows 'n Mudpies

Remember when you were younger, what activities would take up your time?
Who did you spend your time with?

When my sister and I were younger, we were attached at the hip.
We still would be if we weren’t 4 provinces divided.
In the winter, I would scarf down my dinner, and bundle up real tight, head to toe in my tacky blue & brown one piece snow suit, being sure to tuck in the inside part into my boot, since the snow was feet higher than myself, and chances were my socks wouldn’t have a chance of staying dry and warm for too long without the extra protection.

Ah the one piece. Topped off with the jacket, extra long scarf I wore one swoop around the neck, and up around the forehead!
Add the wool itchy toque, courtesy of my Mom’s crafty knitting magic, and sometimes, depending on the temperature, ear muffs for that extra touch of class
What was with that?

And we were off!

(Always making sure I made one last washroom break, because that ensemble was not coming off easily, if I had to run back in mid play, for any emergencies.)

The snow would be glistening from the street lights.

I would wait at the end of my house path for my sister to come and pick me up.
She was the “bus driver” and would pick me up to take me for a trip around the neighbourhood in my dad’s extra large aluminum snow shovel, that I fit in, even with room for another passenger.

We would play for hours and hours, like time stood still.
When we were called back in the house, we would undress, shake the snow off ourselves, rest all our clothing on the space heaters, and thaw out with some nice hot chocolate, ½ water and chocolate, ½ marshmallows!

No cares in the world.

And in the summer, we would use the same tools we used in the winter for our snow castles, to make our mud pies!
These of course, included Mom’s trusty cake pans and spatulas!

We would call our best friends, at 6am, right before Great Space Coaster would be starting, with our bananas as the phone, that we would be eating for breakfast. We would open our bedroom window, and yell out to their bedroom window that was conveniently situated directly across the street!

We would spend countless hours by the train tracks picking and collecting “gold rocks!” You know those pink and green rocks, off by the tracks?
We would bring bags and bags of them home, and rest them under the porch, taking Mom’s nail polish to paint them.

Very creative!

None of these amazing memories for me included a bombardment of TV shows, video games, computer games, or any stimulation other than my own creative thoughts!
In a world so overwhelmed by technology, we fail to take time out for ourselves, to get to the core of our creativity.

We spend enough time trying to accomplish what everyone in the media is telling us we must accomplish in order to be “successful” in this world.
But what we must understand, is that our passions are not a world away, they are right in our own backyard!

So, what drives you? What are some passionate creative hobbies you have been putting on the back burner, because you are so stressed trying to do all the other things in the day?

Yes we have responsibilities, yes we have chores, but if we can find time to do what we love, amidst the chaos, this is what living a sustainable and passionate life is about.

We create our own destiny.

Riches lie inside you, not in your material possessions.
So take a pencil crayon, a paint brush, or some nail polish, and create away!

LuCy sMiLeS

No comments: